Top 10 Useful Techniques to Improve Email Click-Through Rate (CTR)
by Mervin Jadhav, on Sep 28, 2017 1:39 PM
To ensure success of email marketing campaigns, it’s important to take measures to improve the Open Rate and the Click-through Rate (CTR). While the Open Rate is usually in the range of 10-30 percent, the Click-through Rate is in the range of 1-5 percent. Both of these are important, but Click-through Rate carries more weight, as it indicates customers’ interest in a brand or product or service. If you are looking to improve the Click-through Rate of your email marketing campaigns, here are some of the top techniques you can use.
- Follow brand guidelines: Inconsistencies in brand guidelines can create a bad impression on the target audience. Moreover, with the increase in online scams, inconsistencies with your brand can make the customers suspicious about your email. You need to ensure that brand guidelines are properly followed in your email marketing campaigns. It should be in line with your website, your social media channels and all other places where customers interact with your brand.
- Make the product standout: You may have just a couple of seconds to create an interest in the user’s mind. As such, you need to design the email in a way that makes the product(s) standout. It is the first thing users should notice when they open your email. You could use bigger fonts and colors matching your brand to make the product(s) standout.
- Responsive design: Your email should have responsive design since it will most likely be accessed across various devices and systems. A responsive email design will ensure optimal visibility for your email marketing campaign.
- Use relevant images: A picture is worth a thousand words and we form our perceptions majorly through visual cues. This is why adding relevant, interesting pictures to your email can help improve the Click-through rate. Some email clients and servers may automatically block pictures, so provide an option to view the email in the web browser.
- Use an appropriate layout: The most common is the F-layout, but it’s not necessary that you use this only. Based on your specific needs, you can try other layouts as well such as Z pattern layout, S pattern layout, grid view layout, etc. The choice for a specific layout will depend on the type of product and profile of the target audience.
- Use HTML buttons: If you want to include buttons in your email, it would be better to use HTML buttons instead of image buttons. Image buttons may be blocked on certain networks, rendering it invisible to users. Image buttons may also create display issues on certain devices and systems.
- Include only one CTA: Research studies have shown that when multiple call-to-action (CTA) elements are included in the same email, many users tend to treat it as spam. In comparison, a single CTA helps build trust among users. Multiple CTAs can confuse users whereas a single CTA will give them the assurance that they have to do just one task and it would take only a few seconds to check out the details.
- Place the CTA on the right side: Majority of people are right-handed, which means that when they are scrolling, their mouse pointer will be on the right side. By placing the CTA on the right side, you can reduce the distance between the mouse pointer and the CTA. Even such seemingly small changes can motivate many users to click the link.
- Embed social sharing options: Many people may find your email useful or interesting and may want to share it with others. You can add social sharing buttons to your email to target a larger audience base. Another benefit is that social sharing options help build trust among customers. Social media platforms are in the public domain, so people tend to have more confidence in them.
- Take the Squint test: You can partially close your eyes and then look at your email. When you do this, you can easily notice the elements that stand out. The rest of the things will appear blurred. This will give you a clear idea about whether you are focusing on the right elements or not. You can also use automated squint test tools, one of which is available as a Chrome extension.
Email marketing campaigns have an extremely low conversion rate, but they are still widely popular because they are amazingly cheap and can be utilized to target customers globally. Since the number of target audience can easily run into several hundred thousands, even a low conversion rate can contribute significantly to the overall sales. Using the above techniques will help you improve the Click-through Rate (CTR) and conversions as well.